A collection of tools that allow serving large datasets from local filesystem snapshots.
It is meant for serving big amounts of data to shell scripted receivers.
- Take snapshot of directory containing data "/var/datadir/.snapshot12345".
- Create build index of the snapshot and store it into index directory:
$ createindex /var/index/snapshot12345.taridx /var/datadir/.snapshot12345
- Serve snapshots via HTTP:
$ tarserv -l 127.0.0.1:8080 -i /var/index/
- Download snapshots via HTTP:
$ curl http://127.0.0.1:8080/snapshot12345/data.tar
- The tar files are created on the fly from the index file and filesystem snapshot/directory.
- Downloading is resilient, it allows range requests and so can be efficiently restarted.
- Furthermore the tar files produced contain a file ".version" that contains the source snapshot name.
- If given the "lastfile" GET parameter, the served snapshot will start with the file named by the parameter.
- All contained paths are normalized to current directory "./".